I was standing over the stove, stirring something in a saucepan when it hit me "I own a whisk, why am I 'whisking' this with a spatula?" As is my wont (I love that phrase, and I don't care if it is a bit pretentious) I immediately considered the broader, more metaphorical implications of my realization. I have been rather grumpy the last few days. Coming up for air after burying myself in projects, I looked around and realized that my social situation hasn't changed at all. I am running out of things to watch on netflix, and I don't know anyone who lives within four hours of here. Oh, my. So, I whined for a bit, and then, whisking away, I realized that I do, in fact, possess the tools for this job. I am quiet and friendly and useful. Rather than looking at my natural introversion as a problem, I can emphasize the qualities that make me the perfect volunteer. I turned in an application to the library's volunteer program (and was pretty much handed a project, we'll see where this goes!) and eventually I'll do the same at the art museum. Paid work would be nice, but due to a variety of factors, it doesn't look too likely. I can do this, though. And I can do it well.
Today I am going to clean the appt a bit, have a sandwich, walk to the post office, and then to the library, to see a lady about some boxes.
1 comment:
Good for you! I just applied to volunteer at the opera for similar reasons. You have so much to offer!
Post a Comment