Why is it that when people discover that I was a history major they invariably begin quizzing me, in more or less friendly tones, about the American Presidents? I always want to say something like "gee, I don't know anything about that, my specialty was fourth century Guam" but with my luck I'd run into someone who actually knows all about pre-contact Pacific island cultures and my clever dodge would be ruined. In a moment of brilliance I might remember that the culture of Guam about that time is called the "Latte" period and I could use that fact to direct the conversation to coffee. But then, I don't know much about coffee, really, except that it is the second most traded global commodity and I take it cream, no sugar, thanks, so I'd have to dodge back to geo-politics or economics or American history or some other comfortable ground, and we'd probably end up back at the Presidents.
There is no escape.
3 comments:
I feel your pain. You are not alone.
I feel your pain. You are not alone.
It is a strange truth that history majors know all history. At the same time, I love to harass English majors about obscure American novels that no one reads, so that's putting my American Studies major to good use for ya,
Post a Comment