December 23, 2008

"i am a grocery bag" is


an amusing children's song by TMBG and the subject of today, well, the day before yesterday's, mummy-and-me rant. Scene: the grocery store. Recently, in a bid to stay both "hip" and "environmentally savvy" our grocery has begun to offer branded, reusable, grocery bags.  In front of us in the checkout was a woman who was clearly buying these things as gifts for whatever holiday she might be celebrating these days (judging by her red and green nail polish, I'd go with Christmas, but who knows :o). She even stopped halfway through her transaction to grab three more bags off the rack near the front of the self-check.  After scanning each one she carefully placed it in the plastic grocery bag closest to her in the carousel. How the irony of this was lost to her, I have no idea.  I looked at mum, mum looked at me.  I was very tempted to run after the woman and, I don't know, open one of the reusable bags and stuff it full of paper ones for her to wrap the others in when she hands them out to her lucky relatives (*gee just what I wanted, a bag from kroger*). Instead mum and I spent the walk to the car bemoaning the spread of enviro-pop culture.  Yes, of course it makes sense to use your own bags at the store, we use ours whenever we remember to get them out of the trunk, but only because canned goods don't break through canvas bags. 
     

No comments: