We had a lecture series this week, on tradition and modernism in Western art and architecture. The last lecturer said some things that I will have to think about for a very long time. This is what happens when a legitimately brilliant, four-time Nobel prize nominee (for literature) talks about art, time, nature, evolutionary theory, and the human's relation to these. It's not that I agreed with all of his major tenets, it's just that the man is amazing. He can be found here.
Anyway, at one point he described time as "computational difficulty." he suggested that if you want to feel time, you ought to set your laptop on your knees and run it for a while. The heat you feel is shed information. I really love what this says about the richness of the world, and the timelessness of real understanding. It reminds me of another quote, I can't remember where from: that the world is just so magnificent and overwhelming that we have to take a break every 14 hours. How lovely.
Also, I think that the faculty round table today was designed just to make me happy. Honestly: three of my favorite faculty members, discussing one of my favorite topics...so much awesome.
No comments:
Post a Comment