I finally enjoy sunlight. It's kind of like chocolate: I was indifferent about both until recently. I mean, I enjoyed a good chocolate chip cookie or the whole sunlight-streaming-through-the-window thing (especially if the resultant sunspot could be shared with a cat) but I did not enjoy them in their less diluted forms - dark chocolate, or attempting to develop a real tan. Last summer it was easy - I worked outside 8 hours a day. This summer I have to make a effort. Right now I look like a lobster (and curse Douglas Fairbanks for making "tan" the thing to be) but I'm still enjoying just soaking up the sun...mmmm vitamin D.
CSB - the storage building where I spend the mornings at THF, reminds me of Ray Bradbury stories. There is a beautiful, dusty, gutless calliope buried under scaffolding at the front of the building and all around it and beyond it hang the cords from switchboards, like so many slain medusas. There are beautifully painted printing presses and sewing machines (too many to count) and typewriters, and cameras, and doorknobs, and televisions and so much more. Each artifact has a tiny number painted on it; every numbered object exists simultaneously in the real world and in a shadowy database world. This latter is what I am working to update, picking through the shed skin of technology - that old snake. I like my job.
---
I was recently given a whole lot of fabric, on rolls. I'm sure I'll think of some use for them eventually, but for now I'm just admiring them and thinking. I got a couple of patterns at JoAnne's 4th of July sale, so perhaps I will attempt one of those...I have no idea when this will happen though. My blanket project is going to take a lot more time, and I have other sewing projects to work on (riiiight), but I suppose it is better to have too many interesting things to do than too few.
I am, as always, trying to read way too many different things at the same time - 6 books at last count, and I just went to the library again. *sigh* good thing I only work three days a week :o)
No comments:
Post a Comment