I did some work for a slightly elderly lady (let's call her "E") I have known for many years. I've been working on the volunteer project she runs for the last nine years, but had never really met her husband (let's call him "P"). Today, besides learning that I am a dab hand with electric hedge clippers, I was offered some "encouragement," cleverly disguised as (subtext):
P - it's ok, if you mess it up it will grow back (I don't think someone of your age/gender can do this)
me - oh, alright (hmmm, is this how he talked himself into letting me do this?)
*later*
P- you're doing a very nice job (well, I didn't think someone of your age/gender could do this but it looks good!)
me - thanks! (yay!)
******
E - did I tell you about my granddaughter? she didn't date in high school, college, or Yale Law. (oy Amanda, what are we going to do with you?)
me - um... (not this story again...)
E - yes, but she found a nice guy, another attorney who likes hiking in the outdoors, and now they are talking about getting married (don't worry, there is hope for you!)
me - that's nice! (I hope my own grandmother isn't worrying about this yet...)
No comments:
Post a Comment